Energy Impact Partners (EIP) is the world’s largest venture capital firm focused on the transformation of the energy industry towards a decarbonized, decentralized, digitized and electrified future. EIP brings together leading innovators with some of the world’s most valuable, forward-looking energy companies to create a cleaner, more secure and resilient future. EIP’s global coalition of 20 utility partners has a combined market cap of $300 billion and serves over 180 million households.
EIP is seeking a Senior Associate/Director (title based on experience) for our Research & Strategy team to bolster our expertise and research capacity in the fields of digital infrastructure, enterprise software, and cybersecurity. The Senior Associate/Director will conduct sectoral analysis, lead collaborative working groups with our utility partners, and scout the emerging technology landscape for investment opportunities. Applicants should have a background in software market research, strategic IT resource planning, or related projects – plus a keen interest in energy, sustainability, and innovation. The role will provide exposure to executive-level utility strategy, entrepreneurial growth strategy, clean-tech investing, and emerging technology market analysis. A highly analytical mind, insatiable curiosity, and the ability to coherently convey complex ideas are critical.
The Senior Associate/Director will report to EIP’s Senior Director of Research and work closely with our investment and commercialization teams. The position is based in New York City. There is opportunity for advancement for a candidate who demonstrates strong performance.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Sectoral and strategic analysis
- Analyzing relevant sectors, businesses and technologies, via both desktop research and interviews with market participants
- Creating frameworks for understanding emerging technology ecosystems, such as value chains and functional segmentation frameworks
- Identifying potentially investable companies and gathering information about those companies’ product, track record and go-to-market strategy
- Synthesizing content into slide decks to support external presentations
- Presenting, both internally and externally, to share EIP’s research and insights with our utility partners and the outside world
Running working groups
- Preparing for and leading collaborative, topical workshops with expert representatives from EIP’s strategic partner organizations
- Providing logistical support for working groups
- Developing content and engagement strategies for ongoing communication with working group participants
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- 5-8 years of relevant work and/or post-graduate educational experience, including some experience in a market research/strategy role
- A conceptual understanding of enterprise software design and digital infrastructure, for example: computing resources (on-premise and cloud); containers; databases; software integration; and cybersecurity. No deep technical expertise or coding skills are necessary; but non-technical fluency in these topics and the ability to translate technical jargon to laypeople are both essential.
- Experience (or, at a minimum, interest) in the energy and utilities sector
- The ability to synthesize complex information from multiple sources into clear, coherent insights
- The ability to craft a compelling narrative around trends in markets & technology – in prose writing, powerpoint graphics, and verbally
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills
- A willingness to occasionally perform minor logistical support tasks
- A team-player attitude
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
In lieu of a formal cover letter, please attach a document responding to the following questions:
- Choose one EIP portfolio company that intrigues you. In two paragraphs, describe what you think might make that company successful, and what challenges you think the company will face.
- In one paragraph, tell us something you find fascinating (and think others might, too) about a non-professional interest of yours.
- Choose one of the following three technology categories: Electric vehicles, Data lakes, or Robotic Process Automation. For whichever of the three categories you choose, tell us whether you believe that category is overhyped, underhyped, or has just the right level of hype. One to two paragraphs.
- One sentence only: Why do you want to work for Energy Impact Partners?