Energy Impact Partners (EIP) is a global investment platform leading the transition to a sustainable energy future. EIP brings together bold entrepreneurs and some of the world’s most forward-looking energy and industrial companies to advance clean energy innovation. EIP has over $1.5 billion in assets under management and invests globally across venture, growth, and credit.
EIP is seeking a Director/Vice President to lead our research & innovation work in the areas of digital transformation & cybersecurity for the energy sector. This role will be primarily responsible for: Building relationships with operational leaders from our strategic partner organizations (e.g. CIOs, CISOs, and their direct reports); synthesizing market intelligence into unique insights & strategic frameworks; and supporting commercialization of our portfolio companies. This individual will represent the voice of the customer in EIP strategy sessions, investment committees, and other internal meetings, ensuring that we’re delivering on the promise of helping our utility partners innovate in the areas of digital transformation and cybersecurity.
We’re looking for the rare triple-threat: an excellent head-down technology market researcher; an insight machine; and a master relationship builder. This role will also work closely with our investment team and other functions within our tight-knit company.
EIP is headquartered in New York City. We prefer candidates who can work out of our HQ, but we are open to excellent candidates elsewhere. This role is remote at least until September 2021.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
Research & analysis
- Analyze a wide range of market sectors & technologies, via both desktop research and interviews with market participants. Core sector coverage will include: enterprise software; data management; application development & deployment; cloud migration; human resources technology; and cybersecurity.
- Stay apprised of important market & policy developments.
- Develop insights and frameworks for understanding emerging technology ecosystems.
- Identify potentially investable companies and gather information about those companies’ products, track records and go-to-market strategies.
- Apply your knowledge and insight to EIP’s investment process.
LP engagement & strategy
- Prepare and facilitate collaborative, topical workshops with expert representatives from EIP’s strategic partner organizations.
- Develop ongoing content and engagement strategies for these representatives.
- Synthesize content into visually appealing slide decks & concise written reports.
- Present this material to our utility partners & select external stakeholders.
- Lead strategic workshops with individual partners to support their innovation efforts.
- Consult with EIP’s portfolio companies on their product roadmaps & go-to-market strategy, particularly within the energy sector.
- Facilitate commercial relationships between our portfolio and our strategic LPs.
- Build our portfolio’s brand and relationships in the broader energy industry ecosystem.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- A decent level of understanding of enterprise software & cybersecurity. No coding skills necessary, but we are looking for some degree of non-practitioner fluency in these topics.
- 5-10 years of work experience in one or more of the following functions, for software and/or cybersecurity: assessment & implementation; market research; business development & sales.
- Exceptional ability to quickly digest information about unfamiliar topics, and share that information with non-specialist audiences.
- Exceptional writing, graphical communication (PPT), and public speaking skills.
- Strong people skills and a desire to build long lasting, trusted relationships with EIP’s diverse stakeholders.
In lieu of a typical cover letter, please attach a document responding to the following questions:
- Choose one of the following three technology categories: Data lakes; Artificial intelligence; Network detection & response (NDR). For whichever of the three categories you choose, tell us whether you believe that category is overhyped, underhyped, or has just the right level of hype. 2-4 paragraphs, please.
- Three questions, 3-6 sentences: What’s your greatest professional strength? What accomplishment are you proudest of in your career so far? What professional skill do you most hope to gain or improve upon in the next five years?
Please also send one concise writing or graphical presentation sample.